Taking a road trip this summer? Have kids? Maybe a toddler or two? Us too! Road trips are one of our favorite things to do, and we’re looking forward to this years road trip. So, I wanted to share some tips for taking road trips with kids!
Road trips can be so much fun but they can also be a little intimidating when you add kids into the mix. We’ve moved across the country quite a few times and love taking road trips! So, It’s not our first rodeo.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product, I’ll receive a little something to help keep this blog running. This is at absolutely no cost to you!
Here are my top tips for taking road trips with kids
- Map out your route exactly! Kids get restless so it’s nice to know where there will be a park to stop and let them stretch their legs. Picnics are way cheaper than restaurants so keep that in mind too. You’ll also want to know where any hotels (look on Groupon Coupons for deals at hotels) are at incase you need to stop and sleep. If you are taking a long road trip, this is best for the whole family. It will allow all of you to take a break from being in the car and get you all refreshed for the next hundred miles!
- Pack an emergency kid kit! What is this? In one bag or diaper bag pack everything you’ll need just for the kids. Including emergency clothes (undies too!), extra diapers, wipes, extra pacifier, bottles, sippy cups, water bottles, antibacterial wipes. Whatever you think your kids will need but try to keep the bag small.
- Use a cookie tray as a lap tray. You can buy them for a dollar at the Dollar Tree! Awesome, huh. The kids can eat, and play on it. You can also use magnetic clips, you can find these at the Dollar Tree, to clip a single sheet of paper to the cookie sheet for easy coloring.
- Take along a coloring book and coloring packs for each kid. This will keep them from fighting, no one wants to hear that on a road trip.
- Pre-pack snack and drinks in a cooler.
- Leave out favorite blankets or stuffed animals for when your kids sleep. It will make them feel more comfortable.
- If you can bring along any electronics your kids can enjoy a favorite movie. That would be a life saver, especially for a LONG road trip. Don’t know why this is so much fun for kids in the car but it is! We usually let our kids watch one movie when it starts to get dark. You’ll also want an inverter if your packing electronics.
- Sing interactive songs with your kids. Our boys love to sing and they love it even more when mommy and daddy sing with them. We love to get wild and silly with our kids, they soak it up. So, get silly!
I found these fun ideas on Pinterest you can check out too.
This mother from the blog “Making Of A Mom” made a DIY Road Trip I Spy Game. This looks like so much fun and I’m going to be using this idea this summer.
The Happily Ever Mom did a huge post on 20+ Traveling Activities for Kids to check out!
And of course, I have to add my absolute favorite blogger Becky at Your Modern Family. This article on her blog includes 25 tips to keep kids busy on road trips.