How much time should I spend playing with my kids? Sometimes it’s really hard for me to because I’m just not interested in playing.
This is such a raw question that I can imagine people gasping at! But this is real life, and if you say you don’t have this predicament or think you won’t when you have kids think again. I absolutely love this question, let’s get to it!
It’s important to remember that one day our kids will be all grown up and will no longer be interested in playing with you. You will miss this, I know I will, and I think this is hard for a lot of parents to remember.. But you shouldn’t beat yourself up about it either. Parenting is hard enough!
I really try to make sure to play with my kids at least 20 minutes a day. Kids are in constant play mode so I totally get what it feels like to get burnt out. If you can’t find time on some days that doesn’t me you are a bad mom! Your kid loves you either way. I try to aim for 20 minutes of playtime with my kids because children love to spend time with their parents, it makes them feel special, and you’re the most important thing to them right now.
Make playing fun for you and your child. Do things you both can enjoy but also remember to give into their child like spirits.
Here’s a list of fun things you can do with your children during playtime
- Go for a nice hike. Share silly jokes while you walk then race back. Winner gets ice cream!
- Play an active game like kick ball.
- I Spy is always fun, especially outside!
- Play hide and go seek! Outside or inside, for some reason this game still gets me to giggle like a kid again!
- Use your imaginations together.
- Tea parties are always fun! Whether you have a girl or boy. Make a quick snack and cool some tea. It’s fun to drink, eat, and share some good words with your kids.
- Do a puzzle or play a card game together. Puzzles are a favorite of ours.
- Board games are fun too! We are teaching our kids to play chess because it’s a favorite of mine and my husbands. Pick Up Sticks is also a super fun game to play with your kids, we play it with our 3, 4, and 7 year olds.
There are so many things you can do for playtime with your kids, so don’t limit your options.
However, life can get crazy, busy sometimes. My family is always busy. We have sports Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday and responsibilities on the weekends. We fit that special time in with our kids where ever we can fit it. So, don’t feel bad if you couldn’t have that playtime with your kids today because you can still fit that special time in.
Here’s how you can find that time.
Whether it’s being silly racing to the car, sharing a joke, playing a game of Ispy or giving kind words to your child. There are minutes in the day to stop and talk to your kids or share a silly thought. Listen to what they have to say, it makes them feel special and loved.
Plan family date nights at home and different times you can share some special moments together when you know you guys will have a busy week.
We love to be silly with our kids and that time is just as important to us as it is to them.
Don’t forget to check out other answers on this question from these other awesome mamas!
Crystal over at LoveMoreLiveBlessed.com
Rachel over at DontCallMeSuperMom.com
Marisa over at Calledtomother.com